|During this time football was
flourishing in the area and the club had already been joined in the National
League set up by both Tanygrisiau FC and
In fact, such was the demand on the playing side during the 1920’s that a District League was formed by William Jones Penny and others. It was then that the famous names of local soccer were in daily conversation and memories of Offeren, Black Stars, Gwynfryn Celts, Manod Villa, Manod Swifts, Blue Boys, Married Men, Coming Stars, Dixie Kids, Rhiw Corinthians, Ystradau Celts, Moelwyn Rangers and Happy Eleven still abound amongst the older generation. Unfortunately no records covering this local league have been located but the search continues. Many of these names were to appear again with the inception of the Inter Quarries Competition. However, the original clubs were to remain all too briefly as the depression, the Second World War and the start of the decline in the slate industry all combined to bring on a steady decrease in the town population and the District League’s disbandment.
1929-30 turned out to be the last season for the Welsh National League system as divisions broke away
and senior clubs either set up their own league or went bankrupt! The senior
League competition to come out of all this was the North Wales Football
Combination up and running for the 1930-31 season. Blaenau Ffestiniog FC were
elected into the League but in August 1930 it is reported that they had a debt
of £343 and would be withdrawing from the league.
It is unclear to
which, if any, League competition they played in after their withdrawal, but
strangely this season shows them taking part in the Welsh Cup for the first time – a 2-6 defeat at Bethesda Victoria in the First Round of the 1930-31 competition.
It was at this point that the club moved from Newborough Park – partly due to poor drainage but more importantly because the ground was too small. The club was ineligible for some cup competitions – notably the Welsh Cup – as the playing area was too small. The new, temporary, home was Oakley Park, but its exact location remains a mystery at present. It is believed to have been at the site of the old Oakley Quarry stables, now – like Holland Park – the victim of the slate tips. Second to the present ground, the most popularly known home ground was Heygarth Park, now the site of the Metcalfe Ltd factory, and it was to here that they moved in 1931. The District League disbanded but by the late forties both Llan Ffestiniog and Tanygrisiau had clubs with Trawsfynydd joining them in the early fifties. They played in the Cambrian Coast League - a different League to the town team who remained in the Welsh League as it was then. The Traws team was formed by Gwilym Roberts (Bolton Café) when he was invited to do so upon his return from Bolton Wanderers - after doing his national service at Trawsfynydd camp and Caernarfon.